The University of Algiers stemmed out of various higher-education institutions created in the 19th century under the French colonial rule : medersas founded in 1850 to train the Muslim cadres of religion, justice and administration under Islamic law (the Algiers medersa eventually became the Institut d’Études Supérieures Islamiques in 1946), then the four superior schools or faculties established in 1879 by the university reform of the French IIIrd Republic for medicine-pharmacy, sciences, literature, and law. These four superior schools became the University of Algiers under the Law of 30 December 1909, as one of the 16 French regional universities. It allowed students to pursue in Algiers a complete curriculum up to the doctorate. Most students came from European families installed in North Africa (Pied-Noirs).
There were some 30 “indigenous Algerian” students in 1914 (out of a total of about 500), and a hundred a year in the 1930s. A higher number of North African students chose to study in France. The University of Algiers was attractive, hosted high-level teachers and researchers, as it created over the years scientific laboratories, libraries and specialized institutes.
The installation of the Free French government in Algiers in 1943, with French citizenship awarded by general De Gaulle to 65,000 Muslims gave a new importance to the University of Algiers, which became for the next two years the university of the de facto capital of France. In 1945–1946, Muslim students were 360 in Algiers, compared to 350 in Paris, and as many in other French faculties. In 1961, just before Algerian independence, Muslim Algerian students represented 18% of the total of the University.
The University of Bahrain is the largest public university in the Kingdom of Bahrain. It is the only national university in the country. With campuses in Sakhir, Isa Town and Manama, the university has more than 20,000 registered students and over 2000 staff members.
The university is a member of the International Association of Universities and the Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
Kuwait University (KU), was established in October 1966 under Act N. 29/1966. The university was officially inaugurated on 27 November 1966 to include the College of Science, the College of Arts, the College of Education and the College for Women. The university is the state’s first public institution of higher education and research.
The university aims to preserve and transmit knowledge through scholarship, and encourage innovation and development in the arts and the sciences. It comprises 17 colleges offering 76 undergraduate, 71 graduate programs.
The university facilities are spread over six campuses, offering programs in the sciences, engineering, humanities, medical and social sciences. Students are awarded Bachelor, Master and Doctoral degrees.
The current president of Kuwait University is Prof. Hussain Al-Ansari.
In November 2015, the university organised the Kuwait Global Technopreneurship Challenge (KGTC).
Sultan Qaboos University (SQU) was established in 1986, and is the Sultanate’s only public university, as well as the first to award a bachelor’s degree in nursing.
Situated within the old Omani village of Al Khoudh in Muscat, SQU’s campus is beautifully built in the traditional Islamic style, reflecting the unique and enigmatic charm of ancient Omani architecture.
Having retained its position as 10th in the Arab rankings from last year, the university achieves high scores across most of the 10 indicators, and particularly excels for its proportion of staff with PhD, receiving a flawless score.
Sultan Qaboos University,
P.O. Box 31, Al-Khoud 123, Sultanate of Oman.
Phone : (+968) 24141807,
Fax : (+968) 24413861